1. During the nine months before her baby is born, her face is one _______smile.
A. humble B. exclusive C. perpetual D. modest
2. Among these articles, which do you think are most _______to interest our students?
A. competent B. likely C. awkward D. unexpected
3. Don’t _______to let me know if there’s anything I can do for you>
A. thrill B. hesitate C. reject D. puzzle
4. Mother ________my brother to keep his voice down but he ignored her.
A. motioned B. shrugged C. impressed D. remarked
5. His bedroom ______a single bed with a small television at its foot.
A. serves as B. consists of C. makes up D. lays out
6. Henry’s actually _______of telling lies, pretending to be sick when he’s healthy.
A. expert B. spontaneous C. competent D. capable
7. Lucy, who did not even go to grade school, had no _______of a job at the time.
A. interview B. pressure C. prospect D. application
8. This technique is traditionally thought to be of Chinese________.
A. origin B. architecture C. source D. civilization
9. Andrew was determined to ________a computer career after graduation.
A. shave B. apply C. select D. pursue
10. The body cannot store vitamin C so it is ______to have a fresh supply every day.
A. visible B. essential C. ultimate D. profound
11.If you love plants, the chances are you buy them on ____and then wonder where to put them.
A. cue B. display C. impulse D. purpose
12. The spending cuts made it impossible to fill the posts left _____by retired teachers.
A. depressed B. jealous C. vacant D. dissatisfied
13. Susan is never know to be prompted to follow fashions, however attractive they may seem_____ .
A. granted B. prompted C. addicted D. tempted
14. _____to miss the lectures on Sunday, I had to cut short the visit and came back on Saturday.
A. Emotional B. Reluctant C. Spontaneous D. Mysterious
15. Edward had done extremely well in the entrance examinations, which convinced his father that he was______ financial support.
A. capable of B. short of C. sure of D. worthy of
16. Our firm can help you ______ a scheme to meet your needs in the most cost-effective way.
A. resolve B. devise C. extend D. appreciate
17. The boy was caught _____ his neighbor’s apples the other day.
A. to have stolen B. stealing C. to steal D. having stolen.
18. _______, they went swimming.
A. Being a hot day B. It was a hot day
C. Due to a hot day D. The day being hot.
19. ________plastics, the machine is light in weight.
A. To make of B. Having made of C. To be made of D. Made of
20. ______ to continue his studies, James quitted school.
A. Not wishing B. Not to wish C. Having not wished D. Wishing not
21. Brown as well as ten of his classmates _____ invited to the party.
A. are B. was C. were D. have been
22.Anyone can borrow magazines from the club ____________ he returns them in a week.
A as long as B so that C unless D as far as
23. The doctor ordered that the nurse ____________ the patient carefully.
A) watches B) to watch C) watch D) watched
24. We got there on time and safely, ____________ made us feel relieved.
A which B thus C it D that
25. While I like the dress very much, I can't afford it. The word
“while” means ________.
A、when B、although C、as long as D、whereas
26. You never told us why you were one hour late for the last meeting, _____?
A. weren’t you B. didn’t you C. have you D. did you
27. The thought________ he might fail in the exam worried him.
A、when B、so that C、what D、that
28. Not only ______us light, but it gives us heat.
A. does the sun give B. the sun gives C. gives the sun D. the sun goes give
29. Had you come five minutes earlier, you ______ the train to Birmingham. But now you missed it.
A. would catch B. would have caught C. could catch D. should catch
30. It was for this reason ____________her uncle moved out of New York and settled down in a small village .
A. which B. why C. that D. how