六、(10分)Correct the punctuation errors in the following sentences if there are(1 points each) (在原文划出错误然后在空白相应位置改正) 1)《Oliver Twist》is one of Dickens‟ novels.
Correction: Oliver Twist is one of ……(改成斜体或加下划线)
2) In the phrase “pay attention to”, to is a preposition and should be followed by a noun or a gerund.
Correction: In the …attention to‟‟ to is a ……
3) William wrote a book for students learning to write (Practical College English Writing (Beijing Higher Education Press, 2003))
Correction: ...( Practical…[Beijing..2003])
4) She asked, “What does culture mean”?
Correction: … mean?”
5) Hurry up; or we will be late for class.
Correction: Hurry up, or…
6) When he came, I was busy cleaning my room.
7) We were tired, and we decided to have a rest.
8) The trip was not well planned or prepared; therefore, it was not a pleasant one.
9) The author of the strange book was born in 1078[?] and died in 1135 Correction: …in 1078(?) and….
10) He is an eccentric boy, yet you can‟t help liking him.
11) “What do you mean by …evolutionary mechanism‟?”one of the students asked.
12) Henry …s mother believes three things: that every situation, no matter how grin, will be happily resolved; that no one knows more about human than she; and that Henry, who is thirty-five years old, will never be able to do his own laundry.
13) Unfortunately, Wang couldn‟t come, and his absence made things difficult for us.
Correction: … couldn‟t come; and …
14) Before he came we had expected him to help us, but when he was with us, he didn‟t do much.
Correction: Before he came, we had …us; but …课文P360 2.中第二个例子
15) Buses are always crowed; hence he prefers to cycle.
16) “John,” she said, “I‟ve lost my glove.”
17) It must have rained last night for the ground is wet.
Correction: … last night, for the ….
18) We were tired: and we decided to have a rest.
Correction: … tired, and we …
19) First he talked about “New Criticism”; then he discussed “postmodernism”.
20) Before he came we had expected him to help us, but when he was with us, he didn‟t do much.
七、(5分)Read the following passage, then tell it is a narration, exposition, description or argumentation, and give a title to the passage.
The best way for a beginner to start a stamp collection is to buy a packet of 500 or 1,000 mixed stamps. Such a packet bought from a reliable shop contains only common stamps, but they are clean and in good condition.
Once this start has been made, it is not difficult to add to the
collection. Relatives and friends who live overseas or go there for their holidays can be a great help. So can some office workers, as many officers receive a large number of letters from abroad every day, and often the stamps are thrown away with the envelops.
Stamps can be chosen and bought at a stamp-shop, too. But we have to be careful in choosing the types because there are too many stamps in the shop and they will cost you a lot of money.
The final requirement is a stamp album. As the collection grows, we need more albums and we can find more pleasure in them. Exposition.
Title: How to collect stamp? / The requirement for stamp collection 八、(10分)Write a summary in about 30 words of the following passage.
One in every five young people has a sleep problem, so you‟re not alone. Getting enough sleep has become as important as eating vegetables and exercising regularly. It‟s very important for your body.
Most young people only get seven hours of sleep each night, when they actually need nine hours. And making up for lost sleep during the week by sleeping on weekends doesn‟t really work. In fact, sleeping late on weekends may actually do you more harm than good, if you have sleep problems.
What happens if you don‟t get enough sleep? If your sleep problem
continues for a few nights, you could suffer serious problems. Lack of sleep can affect learning and memory. Worse, if your sleep difficulties last a long time, that could lead to anxiety or depression.
(key words)①sleep problem, important, one in every five②most of them get 7 hours at nights③lack of sleep can affect learning and memory(再总结,压缩为30词)